Wednesday, February 20

I was chosen to be helpful!

Today I had the privilege to be in the right place at the right time. 

I am a crossing guard for an elementary school.  The corner I've been placed on often has me wondering if I'm really that necessary.  But over the months people and occasions have changed my mind.  Number one, I am a quick and reliable substitute for the more used locations.  Two I am a cheerful addition to greet neighborhood occupants.  There are a couple ladies I do look forward to seeing...and they're thrilled I've become friends with their dog companions too.  Also regular drivers passing by look for a wave of recognition daily.  And the two kids I cross deserve this extra little bit of attention in their day.  It's good.  It's okay. 
And then today I know having this job has so much more reason than I or anyone else could've imagined.  An elderly lady across the street fell in her carport.  Luckily I was near and could get her blankets and call for an ambulance. I know she and her family were grateful for my helping but I am even more grateful for the opportunity of service.  It means more to me than I even know.  The reward is seeing someone in a distraught and needy situation being comforted because God placed me there!  Wow!  That's beyond words.  He knows all!...what she needed and what I needed.

So, with that, I'm willing to continue at my simple little job position because I know it's not menial to God.
 

No comments: